Alpina has a watchmaking history dating back 130 years, including 50 years as an official supplier of timepieces to the continental airforces. Alpina just made some pre-Basel announcements about some new models releasing in 2014, one of them being the Startimer Chronograph, appropriately nicknamed “Black Star.”
Alpina is a brand that does a good job of combining a somewhat rugged or utilitarian look with luxury. The new Startimer Chronograph is no exception. It’s boldly sized at 44mm and its stainless steel case features a PVD-applied coating. The gray dial has stunning specs, including a sunray pattern, applied markers and chronograph registers at the three and six o’clock positions. Both the front and back of the watch have a sapphire crystal. Inside the watch is Alpina’s caliber AL-860 based on the Selitta SW500, a 30-jewel automatic chronograph movement with a 46-hour power reserve. The watch is rated water resistant to 100m and rides on a black leather strap with off-white stitching and a deployment buckle.
I don’t have a confirmed price yet, but my best guess is the Black Star will retail in the $2,500-$3,000 range.
- Reference: Startimer Chronograph (“Black Star”) AL-860GB4FBS6
- Case: 44mm stainless steel w/PVD-applied coating
- Crystal: Domed sapphire w/anti-reflective coating
- Movement: AL-860 automatic chronograph
- Case Back: Exhibition w/sapphire crystal
- Strap: Leather w/off-white stitching & deployment buckle
- Water Resistance: 100m
More at Alpina-Watches.com