Last summer, up and coming watch company Smith & Bradley achieved 250% of their Kickstarter fundraising goal to produce the rugged and tactical Sans 13. The watch was designed with the input of folks in law enforcement who actually wear these types of watches (co-founder Jerommie Smith was a police officer for 17 years, including 5 on a SWAT team), and it garnered a lot of attention from the watch press. Now they’re back on Kickstarter raising funds for another practical timepiece, the Atlantis dive watch.
According to Smith & Bradley, sport watches fall short in the durability department, so the brand wants to offer a solid sport watch at a reasonable price. The Atlantis is completely designed and built in Sidney, Illinois, but “Built in the USA” is more than a marketing ploy to Smith & Bradley. The two founders believe they can achieve superior quality and durability by owning the entire process end-to-end. We see this philosophy play out well in and outside the watch world, so hopefully they can execute properly and produce a lasting timepiece. They have two full-time benches in Sidney that will produce watches, and not a single unit will leave the bench until it has the owner’s approval.
They expect to retail the Atlantis for $675. The design is clean and practical, and it’s clear the team has carefully sourced each component. However, for what you get, the watch seems expensive to me. If the quality competes with comparably priced automatic divers on the market, then the price may be well worth it. We look forward to finding out if that is true when the Atlantis launches in May 2014.
- Case: 44mm, 316L stainless steel w/ fully milled case back
- Bezel: 120-click unidirectional bezel with Superluminova
- Solid 316L threaded lug pins, no spring bar
- Dial: Matte black dial with Superluminova
- Water Resistance: 200m
- Crystal: Flat sapphire crystal w/double anti-reflective coating
- Movement: Sea-Gull ST2130 26 jewel movement sourced directly from Seagull
- Strap: Black silicon strap or Italian leather strap w/ waterproof lining